The Amarillo Zoo is turning 65!
The Amarillo Zoo will be celebrating its 65th birthday throughout the entire month of July!
- A different animal will enjoy special birthday enrichment each day of the month. A special enrichment schedule is viewable on the zoo’s Facebook event page and below.
- Special exhibit signs will display the history of the zoo.
- Guests can sign a special birthday card.
- Celebrate National Zoo Keeper Week (July 19th-25th), a week dedicated to sharing the passion and devotion of zoo keepers to the world.
- Celebrate World Tiger Day on July 29th
- Want to give a gift? Check out our birthday wish list here!
History: The idea for a Zoo started in 1955 when a duck pond was built in Thompson park. Shortly afterwards in 1957, barnyard exhibits were added utilizing a storybook theme for exhibit construction. It was called "Children's Story Land Zoo." In 1989 the land area was expanded to 14 acres. The theme and name "Children's Story Land Zoo" was dropped and the new name, "Amarillo Zoo," was adopted. With over 200,000 visitors annually the Zoo continues to grow and provide visitors and residents of the Panhandle a family destination where they can learn and experience the animal world.
Check out the event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2561992410731339/